I love this recipe from “The South’s Best Butts.” BBQ Tots are a crowd pleaser. The best part of this recipe is that the hands-on time is only 25 minutes! Try these this weekend at your Memorial Day BBQ!
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1/2 sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 green bell petter, cut into 1/2- inch pieces
- 4 baked potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Greg’s Dry Rub (recipe below)
Melt the butter in a large cast-iron skillet over medium high. Add the onion and bell pepper; cook stirring often, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the potatoes and dry rub, making sure potatoes are in contact with the bottom of the skillet. Cook, without stirring, 8 minutes. Using a spatula, flip the mixture, and cook until browned, about 8 more minutes.
Greg’s Dry Rub
- 1 cup loosely packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
Stir together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Use immediately, or store in an airtight container up to 6 months to 1 year. Makes 1 3/4 cup.